Thursday, December 08, 2011

Advent Calendar - Christmas Cookies

Did your family or ancestors make Christmas Cookies? How did you help? Did you have a favorite cookie?

I don't recall that my grandmother made any cookies especially for Christmas, but my mother has always made shortbread.  As I was growing up I seem to recall that the shortbread was mainly at Christmas, but nowadays Mum makes it all year.  She still uses the same recipe she used when I was little.

Here is her recipe:

Ingredients:        Butter – 8 ozs (250 gms)
                          Plain Flour – 10½ ozs (330 gms)
                          Icing Sugar – 3½ ozs (110 gms)
                          Cornflour – 2 ozs (65 gms)
                          Vanilla – ½ tsp (a dribble!)
                          Salt        - pinch (optional)
Method:  Cream butter and sugar.  Add vanilla.  Work flours in until a pliable paste.  Flatten out (do NOT roll) to 3/8" (1cm) thickness.  Cut into pieces and bake in a moderate oven (1800) for 20 – 25 minutes.

Note:  To make good shortbread you must knead the dough till it comes clean from your hands.

It is beautiful shortbread!  Mum often gives it as a gift to friends and relations.
shortbread
I have used the same recipe to make shortbread at Christmas time, and intend doing so again this year to give some to our neighbours.

1 comment:

  1. Always good to have another educator in the group. I see I am already a follower.
    Welcome to the GeneaBloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

    May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

    Dr. Bill ;-)
    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories" and family saga novels:
    "Back to the Homeplace" and "The Homeplace Revisited"
    http://thehomeplaceseries.blogspot.com/
    http://www.examiner.com/x-53135-Springfield-Genealogy-Examiner
    http://www.examiner.com/x-58285-Ozarks-Cultural-Heritage-Examiner

    ReplyDelete